from Kiwi mum on << mykidslickthebowl.com >>
140g Sunflower seeds (1Cup)
80g Almonds chopped (1/2Cup)
70g Pumpkin seeds (1/2 Cup)
200g Rolled Oats (2 Cups)
35 g ground Flax Seed /Linseed (1/4 cup)
25g Chia Seeds (2 TBS)
25g Psyllium hulls (1/4 Cup)
1-2 tsp Salt ( to taste)
30 ml Pure Maple Syrup if desired
60 ml Olive oil (1/4 cup)
1. In a dry, non stick frypan, toast sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds, over a medium heat until the pumpkin seeds begin to pop.
2. Mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Add liquid ingredients ( Water, oil & maple syrup, if using), then mix it all together, It will still be quite sloppy. Leave for 5 min, while you prepare your breadpan. 4. Oil a loaf tin and line with Bake Paper
5. After the 5 min,stir the mix again. By this time, the oats, psyllium hulls and chia seeds will have started to absorb a lot of the liquid.
6. Pour the mix into the prepared pan, smooth off the top by pushing down on the mix firmly with a spatula or scraper. Wrap the whole in cling fily, pushing it down so that it sticks to the top of the mix.
NB; This will be a very heavy, dense scrummy loaf .
7. It is best to refrigerate overnight, but can be baked after 4 hours minimum.
8. Set Oven temp to 180C ( 360F)
9. Remove cling film.Bake for 1 hr in the centre of your oven,
10. Remove from the oven & turn upside down on to a cooling rack, leaving the pan in situ on top of the loaf until completely cool
Do not attempt to slice until it is quite cold.
a) Play around with the nuts and seeds that you use in the ingredients, you may prefer another combination. Walnuts, Macadamias, Pecans Brazil nuts ( all chopped) go well for a change.
Having been soaked over night, they will be softer.
b) To serve, you can just cut it thinly and eat. Top it with pesto, avocado, banana, a poached egg, etc. It is lovely toasted, but takes a long time, try dry frying it on a med heat in a non stick frypan instead.
c) Don't skip psyllium husks or chia seeds, as these act as binding agents for this loaf. The rolled oats, chia seeds, flaxseeds and psyllium hulls ( husks) cannot be substituted. However, the other nuts and seeds can be exchanged, as long as there is a total amount of between 2.75cups & 3 Cups of nuts and seeds in total. Roughly chop large nuts, to the size of the pumpkin seeds.
d) This bread should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or bag, for up to 5 days. It can also be thinly sliced, packed and frozen for later date makes 18 slices approx.